A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him” – David Brinkley
Too many people when coming under attack crumble when instead they could view that attack or criticism as a way to grow and mature and come back stronger. Brinkley nails this aspect.
Good or Positive Stress
“Eustress” – from Greek word for “good” This will motivate us to better ourselves. Like an athlete who loses and uses that pressure to better himself to win next time.
This is bad and causes the body and mind to FIGHT BACK OR RUN AWAY it’s the “FIGHT or FLIGHT” SYNDROME If this pressure lasts over a long period of time it can bring serious health problems. This stress is negative and harmful It makes us feel that we can’t cope. We get discouraged, depressed and we give up.
Areas that are affected
1. WORK – We need our work relationships to be good for our ….protection; survival; future and income too.
2. HOME LIFE – This is our refuge where we find our comfort. To protect and grow our most important asset – our families. To build our friendships for the future. To provide for our old age. Destroy it & we end up lonely, unhappy, unfulfilled and poor
3. MARRIAGES – This is the most important friendship in life. We need the trust of our wives. As well as her love and encouragement. We must give that love and encouragement first – we must sow seeds to reap a good harvest over the years
Keep your sexuality safe within your marriage . Don’t destroy that friendship – you’ll find it very hard to regain your integrity.
4. PERSONAL RELATIONSHIPS – This means your children first – they will grow up to trust you, be your friend and support you OR be your enemy and you’ll end up very insecure, lonely and never see your grandchildren. Look after your friendships too!
“A man who has friends must show himself to be friendly, and there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother” Old proverb
We don’t need these areas to suffer because they are essential to our wellbeing
KEYS TO WIN OVER STRESS
Very important – what happens inside
Your own health and wellbeing, Health is not the Absence of Disease… It’s a POSITIVE STATE of ….
4) Spiritual Wellbeing
A BALANCE NEEDED IN LIFE
A balanced healthy diet; Avoid unhealthy habits and exercise three times a week – at least 20 minutes a day – walk, run, bike, swim…
We need the 3 R’s in life …
REST – good sleep each night
RELAXATION – a hobby, reading, good music
RECREATION – family fun, picnics, social functions, sport (not long hours of TV)
To stimulate Mental & Intellectual capacity …good reading, inspirational CDs, theater, good movies, meeting with community leaders, learning new language….
Make GOOD FRIENDSHIPS with people you can relate to or who will inspire and challenge you. Who can speak into your life when you are going wrong – THAT’S A REAL FRIEND
YOU HAVE A SPIRIT – a Spiritual Life. Please DON’T NEGLECT IT & STARVE IT
You’ll get “sick” on the inside of your being
1) Read the Bible each day
2) Good Inspirational & Godly books
3) Attend a friendly, God-honoring & Bible-believing Church
4) Receive Jesus Christ into your life ….and serve Him in serving others
Stop and think about this issue. Take it to the Lord in prayer. Then make the right decisions.
God bless you.